Jim Walsh's Big Hairy Weblog Thingy

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Why I Am Not A Voter

"Should I even bother with voting?"

You ask that question of just about any pundit, commentator, celebrity, activist, or (duh) politician, and you will get a resounding "yes" (most likely accompanied by a trite moral lecture full of the usual cliches about fufilling one's civic duty)...

You are about to read a minority opinion.

Mr. Shaffer's opinions on the subject parallel my own very closely. Up until about eight years ago, I too was a regular voter - and I always came away feeling unsatisfied, even guilty, like I had just taken part in some sick, sordid process.

Then I stopped voting - for reasons much like those of Mr. Shaffer. I haven't missed it a bit.

The main point I want to make here is this: if you're gonna vote, at least be sure you're doing it for the right reason. Doing it because some acquaintence, family member or mental-midget celebrity tells you it's your "civic duty" to do so is the wrong reason.

Maybe it's time you kicked the habit...and told the "civic duty" crowd to stick it their collective hats...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home