Jim Walsh's Big Hairy Weblog Thingy

Friday, November 18, 2005

Things That Make Get Me Mideval On People's Hind Quarters

A lefty website called “Think Progress” has video of the fracas on the floor of the House that ensued tonight after Rep. Jean Schmidt (R-Ohio) decided to, in her words, "send a message" to Rep. John Murtha (D-Penn.), a retired Marine colonel who picked up two purple hearts in Vietnam, that…

...well…

...oh hell, just read the damn thing for yourself:

Yesterday I stood at Arlington National Cemetery attending the funeral of a young marine in my district. He believed in what we were doing is the right thing and had the courage to lay his life on the line to do it. A few minutes ago I received a call from Colonel Danny Bubp, Ohio Representative from the 88th district in the House of Representatives. He asked me to send Congress a message: Stay the course. He also asked me to send Congressman Murtha a message, that cowards cut and run, Marines never do. Danny and the rest of America and the world want the assurance from this body – that we will see this through.

Schmidt later offered a half-assed retraction…

I swear, if I hear of just one more snot-nosed, posturing, chickenhawk neocon calling a veteran a traitor or a coward or any other similar epithet, I’m gonna take my cue from Bruce Cockburn and start shopping for a goddamned rocket launcher…