Jim Walsh's Big Hairy Weblog Thingy

Thursday, August 03, 2006

I Learned The Truth From Lenny Bruce

Today (8/3) was the fortieth anniversary of the death of Lenny Bruce. If any of the major papers wrote anything about it, I'm damned if I can find it (Update: kudos to the BBC).

Lenny has certainly made his mark on pop culture over the decades, being the subject of some good books, some bad ones, a really fuzzy movie directed by Bob Fosse (featuring an intense but unfunny performance by Dustin Hoffman), not to mention songs by Paul Simon, R.E.M. and Bob Dylan (not one of Bob's finer moments either).

Lenny was/is one of my pop culture heroes and it would be a shame to let the occasion pass unremarked upon, so here's a site I found with some information about his life and career along with a reprint of his obit from the New York Times.

And to the right there's a link where you can get The Lenny Bruce Performance Film, which I haven't seen, but hey...it's gotta be more interesting than what Dustin Hoffman did...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home