Jim Walsh's Big Hairy Weblog Thingy

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Every Day I Write The Book

There's nothing sadder than someone who believes their own bullshit.

I've always said that if I ever got back into talk radio, there are two things I would never do:

1) Go into syndication

2) Write a "book" about my views

There are already far too many hosts on "the bird" who are marginal, at best.

And too many marginally-talented hosts are writing (or, more accurately, paying someone to ghostwrite) "books" that regurgitate the unoriginal and specious views we can all get for free by listening to their shows.

I had to laugh when I recently came across the website of a certain major market talk station in the Southwest. There, on said website, was an ad for the latest "book" by the station's morning drive host.

Here's a host holding down a shift on a station that doesn't even show up among the Top Twenty stations in its market....and the guy has taken it upon himself to "write" a "book" that retails for about twenty-three bucks (and is, revealingly, available on Amazon for about half that price).

(No...I've never written a book. But neither have any of these guys. They hire ghostwriters. And no, I'm not saying that my opinions are good for anything more than ephemeral entertainment value. The difference is, I don't pretend they are.)

These tomes are, at best, souvenirs for the faithful. They all say the same thing in pretty much the same way. The (few) people who buy these books tend to fall into a very narrow demographic group: extremely old, extremely conservative talk radio geeks who are looking to have their views reinforced.

Trust me - I've worked in the same industry with these guys. Most of these "authors" can barely read, let alone write.

All you hosts out there who fancy yourselves "authors"...you're jerking off. Nobody really cares that much what you say; mostly you're a buzz in the background. Get over yourselves.