Jim Walsh's Big Hairy Weblog Thingy

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

But His Picture's On The Money...

So I stopped in my local public library this evening to take care of some library-type business, and there, as I entered was a display of books honoring The Presidents.

Included were pics of several of our nation's Chief Executives: Lincoln, JFK, George Washington, FDR, Alexander Hamilton...

...what's wrong with this picture?

As politely as possible, I pointed out to the very nice older lady at the information desk that Alexander Hamilton was never president (though he was, in the words of biographer Ron Chernow, "arguably the most important figure in American history who never attained the presidency").

To her credit , the nice older lady seemed to know that Hamilton was never president; she just didn't realize that it was Hamilton pictured on the display (who she thought it was supposed to be I don't know, but the portrait was clearly labeled: Alexander Hamilton: First Secretary Of The Treasury, killed in a duel with Aaron Burr, etc. She thanked me for bringing the discrepancy to her attention and promised that he would substitute another picture.

Ben Franklin, maybe (no, I'm kidding).

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home